28-01-2012

I was talking to my secondary school Chinese teacher, he was my debate instructor too. He was surprised to hear me work as a teacher now and he commented 'What a waste!'. He assumed I will be a successful lawyer or a famous newscaster. He advised me to change job, at least go and work as an event planner or journalist. He said I'm wasting my talent and potential.

I visited another Chinese teacher + debate instructor, together with a junior who is going to Taiwan this coming September to complete her Journalism course. This teacher advised me to go further study ASAP as I'm still young. She said Diploma is not enough for me, I shouldn't have trapped myself in Kuala Lumpur. And she was wondering why am I quitting debate team and didn't press in for higher achievement.

Besides two of them, I met many relatives in the past few days. When they asked about me and my life, my parents always 'change face' and they wanted me to answer those questions by myself. Some people said I'm silly, why stay in KL and don't work in SG. Some people asked why I didn't get a Degree or even Master before working. Many suggestions and advices came in like nobody business.

Yes, I love debate and I'm a talented person in the eyes of seniors and teachers. They expected I'll become a successful lady with all the glory and honor cover on me. And I did have some dreams for myself: I wished I can stand on the stage of International Varsity Debate, I wished I can be a war correspondent, I wished to be a famous newscaster in Malaysia, I wished I'm rich enough to travel around the world......

Well currently I'm just a Diploma holder, working as a teacher with low salary. So what?

We all do have dreams and ambitions, and we try our best to fulfill our desires. But what if God calls you and asks you to throw away all the desires? Will you obey Him? You want to go UK, God asks you to stay in Malaysia. You want to be a doctor, God calls you to enter media industry. You want to earn more than four thousands ringgit a month, God only allows you to get one third of it. Will you still pray to God and tell Him 'When you call I won't delay' or 'Everything we have, use it for Your plan' or 'Have Your way in me', will you?

I remembered how painful I was, when I decided to quit TARC debate team, when I told my parents I chose not to further study, when I rejected RTM and Oriental Daily as they both offered me the job I long for, when I know my family and I have to face all kinds of gossips from people around... I chose to persevere. I hold tight to His words and promises. And here I stand, I'm in the world, but not of the world. I have free will, but I trust in His better plan for me.

Now when people gossips, criticizes, mocking or laughing at me, I don't mind at all. I will just give them a smile and said 'God will know what to do la ya, I shall not worry'. Never dwell in bitterness and never compare with others. When I accepted Jesus into our lives, I already received the greatest gift, then what else should I ask for? :)


Entitled In Christ Alone, written by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend.

In Christ alone, my hope is found

He is my light, my strength, my song

This cornerstone, this solid ground

Firm through the fiercest drought and storm

What heights of love, what depths of peace

When fears are stilled, when strivings cease

My comforter, my all-in-all

Here in the love of Christ I stand
There in the ground His body lay


Light of the world by darkness slain

Then bursting forth in glorious day

Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory

Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine

Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me

From life’s first cry to final breath

Jesus commands my destiny

No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home

Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2010 Her Story All Rights Reserved

Design by Dzignine, Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates